Monday, May 13, 2013

Words hurt

      "5 Things Parents Shouldn't Say To Their Kids" is an article that I can relate to because my parents have said some things in my past that I wish I haven't heard. I can remember one that always scared me was the one when my mom used to tell things like  "I'm leaving if you don't hurry" or "I'm going to leave without you." I began to get so scared that I had to be by her side at all times.  Debora Gilboa, a parenting speaker, says, "If you want them to believe what we say is true, we cannot say something that is patently false." My parents used to scare me when they told me they were leaving or that I had to go into what they called "time-out" and stuff like that. I started to realize that it started to not happened so now I don't really get scared when they tell me "We are taking your phone" or when they say "We will be watching you" because I know they won't. 
      My parents always told me to apologize after I did something that wasn't right.  "Young children don't automatically understand why they have to apologize." If a child goes through their childhood apologizing and not even knowing what for, they'll do that all their life about every little thing. I know people that they apologize for every single thing they do, it gets to the point to where it no longer has a meaning to be sorry. I can say I am sorry but I may only say it to be nice and not because I meant it. I think it is important to teach children when it is proper to say sorry and not to make them say sorry for everything they do.  In the end "Words hurt and they can't be taken back, so be careful" says Debbie Pincus" and I fully agree with her. 

http://shine.yahoo.com/team-mom/5-things-parents-shouldnt-kids-171300904.html#!exz4M

No comments:

Post a Comment